Napolitano leaving AZ; welcome Gov. Jan Brewer

Dems Obama and Napolitano hand AZ Governor's office to conservative Republican Jan Brewer.

PHOENIX -- President-elect Barack Obama has officially nominated Arizona Gov. Janet Napolitano (D) for Secretary of Homeland Security.

Napolitano has accepted (see statement below), and even though I disagree with her decision, I offer her my sincere thanks for her service as Governor, and wish her good luck trying to reform the bloated and troubled DHS.

As a State Representative-elect from Tucson, I also extend my congratulations to Arizona Sec. of State Jan Brewer (R), who will be our next Governor. I offer her, and legislative Republicans, my willingness to try to find common ground, and work cooperatively to solve problems and help Arizona's working people. I also offer a respectful warning that, if pushed, reasonable Arizonans will mobilize strong opposition against unwise extremist politics at the State Capitol.

Now lame-duck Napolitano's statement (partial): This morning I was proud to accept an offer from President-elect Barack Obama to become Secretary of the United States Department of Homeland Security.

I believe that when called upon to serve - particularly at such a critical time in the history of our country - it is our duty to step forward and say, "yes."


This was by no means, an easy decision...


Arizona is facing a challenging time, and I intend to carry forward with my most important responsibilities as the leader of this state. In the weeks ahead, I will deliver my State of the State address, and shortly thereafter, I will present to the Arizona Legislature a balanced budget proposal for Fiscal Year 2010. Upon confirmation as Secretary by the U.S. Senate, I will tender my resignation as Governor of Arizona.

Comments

Zelph said…
I, for one, welcome our new insect overlords.

Popular Posts