Daniel's 2012 election views from Tucson, Arizona

Rep. Daniel Patterson with First Lady Michelle Obama, 2011

TUCSON -- Another big election day has come and passed, thank God. A few quick takes:

Barack Obama stays President, which I support. I encourage him to push hard in his second term, which will not be easy due to US House extremism likely to continue.  

Mitt Romney just proved to be a weak, out-of-touch candidate for the GOP. He lost big in my part of Arizona and much of America as the adrift GOP focused too much on trying to please angry, old, conservative white men.

Voters had problems. I worked election day as a Democratic Party representative poll observer in my precinct 46, at the Santa Rosa Library south of downtown. Unfortunately, there were many on-going problems with voter ID and accuracy of voter rolls. A lot of people were forced to wait in line to cast provisional ballots, at least 148 in just precinct 46 vs. 286 people who got to vote a regular ballot. These voting problems may be a growing controversy in Pima County this week.

Tucson voters helped the struggling legislature a bit by booting extremist Republicans Frank Antenori and Ted Vogt. I'm especially gratified to see dishonest freshman tea-bagger Vogt thrown out by voters. Vogt earned and deserved the loss. Congrats to LD10 Rep. Bruce Wheeler and Rep.-elect Stefanie Mach. In LD9 I'm disappointed voters did not elect fine State Rep. candidate Mohur Sarah Sidhwa and I salute her run.

I congratulate my friend and former colleague Kyrsten Sinema in her apparent win for US House in Arizona's new CD9 in and around Phoenix. She is a powerful leader and should make a great US Rep. Kyrsten will join my Rep. Raul Grijalva as a top progressive in the US House, now two from Arizona, showing the diversity of this changing state.

Arizonans wisely rejected Prop 120 for the state to try seizing the Grand Canyon and public lands. Will the GOP drop their anti-conservation platform as they consider their future? Doubtful, but they should.

In Pima County races, I'm bummed Elaine Richardson didn't win Treasurer, and Nancy Young-Wright lost for Supervisor. These two leading women were both fine candidates and would've been good in these positions.

Too bad Rich Carmona couldn't beat Jeff Flake. Rich gave it a good shot. I fear Arizona will continue to be poorly represented in the important US Senate, which costs us as a state. I hope Flake will moderate from his hard-right positions, but it seems unlikely. John McCain's seat is up for vote in 2014. He should retire.

It was encouraging and healing for me to see and talk with many old and new friends at the polls, Pima County Democratic HQ, and election events at Grijalva HQ and UA Marriott. Thanks for all the kind support people shared. I take responsibility for my mistakes. I've learned some important, tough lessons. At the same time I'm proud of my record and many accomplishments helping people. I'm optimistic about the future. I'm staying involved and I'll see you around. Thanks.

Read me on twitter for more political and other views @DanPattersonUSA including some views from New Mexico politics.

Comments

Popular Posts