|Mr. Patterson talking policy on TV news in Las Vegas, 12/14|
Volunteer, US Interior/National Park Service, Lake Mead NRA, Boulder City NV, AZ (2015-now)
• Recreation/resources management & monitoring; visitor education, interpretation & outreach.
Ecologist & Deserts Director, Center for Biological Diversity, NV, CA, AZ, UT (1996-2006, 2014)
• Protected fish, wildlife and health through science, policy, education, media, law and cooperation.
• Managed and directed staff. Work with tribes. Helped triple membership, staff and budgets.
Southwest Director, Public Employees for Environmental Responsibility, Tucson AZ (2006-2014)
• Helped employees and retirees for conservation; director of all media work and programs in AZ, NM, UT & NV.
Events Professional, IATSE Local 415, Tucson (2013-14)
• Supported events reliably for trade shows, exhibitions and the entertainment industry.
Volunteer, US Interior Dept./FWS, Buenos Aires National Wildlife Refuge, Sasabe AZ (2014)
• Assisted USFWS on education, outreach, conservation, recreation, restoration & monitoring.
Letter Carrier, US Postal Service, Tucson (2013)
• Served people and business through friendly, dedicated professional service.
State Lawmaker, Arizona Legislature, Tucson/Phoenix AZ (2008-12)
• Elected/re-elected to represent Tucson/Pima. Ranking Member, Energy & Natural Resources.
• Listened with independent mind to all. Collaborated for public interest. Served constituents.
Fellow, US State Dept./American Council of Young Political Leaders, Washington DC (2011)
• Represented Arizona on political, business and cultural diplomacy tour across Argentina.
Western Legislative Academy, Council of State Governments, Colorado Springs CO (2010)
• Selected for prestigious policy and communications leadership training for state lawmakers.
Planning Commissioner, City of Tucson, Tucson (2005-08)
• Appointed by Mayor & Council to make policy on growth, parks, water, land & transportation.
Congressional Advisor, U.S. House of Representatives, Tucson/Washington DC (2002-09)
• Advised US Rep. Grijalva & staff on some energy, water & natural resources issues and policies.
Board Member, Pima County Board of Adjustment, Tucson (2007-08)
• Appointed by County Supervisors to hear and settle community land use disputes.
Political Leadership Fellow, Center for Progressive Leadership, Phoenix (2008)
• Trained to organize and direct effective, diverse political, advocacy and media campaigns.
Professional Ecologist, Round River Ecological Services, San Diego CA (1996-98)
• Designed and implemented landscape restoration to help people and wildlife.
• Monitored and surveyed for rare wildlife in the Sonoran and Mojave Deserts.
Natural Resources Specialist, US Interior Dept./BLM (ECO), Barstow CA (1995-96)
• Coordinated multiple-use projects with public, stakeholders and other agencies.
• Cooperated on CWA, NEPA, FLPMA, CAA, NHPA, ESA and state & local law compliance.
• Directed work crews, project funds, planning, media and community/partner relations.
Corporate Accounts Manager, Pattco Properties, Lansing MI (1988-94)
• Recruited and managed business accounts; sales. Worked in successful family business.
Michigan State University, East Lansing MI (1990-94)
• Resource Development, B.S., Agriculture & Natural Resources Communications, B.S.
• Worked in Botany Dept. on restoration. Popular radio host on WDBM-FM
Backcountry Hunters and Anglers, Co-Founder, Arizona Chapter, Tucson (2013-now)
• Collaborating with sportsmen conservationists on new voice for wildlife management.
Foundation for Inter-Cultural Dialogue, Ambassador, Tucson (2009)
• Selected to help represent Arizona Legislature on diplomatic tour of Turkey.
Santa Rita Park Neighborhood Association, President, Tucson (2000-08)
• Cooperated with neighbors, city, community and business for barrio planning and quality of life.
BICAS (Bicycle Inter-Community Art & Salvage), Board Member, Tucson (1998-2003)
• Supported diverse community and youth involvement in art, bicycling, air quality & education.
Sierra Club-Rincon Group, Conservation Chair & Exec. Committee, Tucson (2001-02)
• Represented thousands on Southern Arizona conservation and community issues.
Desert Restoration Task Force, Ecologist, fed & state/private, AZ, CA, NV, UT (1995-98)
• Prioritized landscape-scale restoration based on science, community & economy; founder.
Desert Protective Council, Board Member, San Diego (1996-98)
• Raised funds and directed conservation relations in the Sonoran and Mojave Deserts.
Desert Tortoise Council, Co-Chair, Board of Directors, AZ, CA, UT, NV (1996-98)
• Represented science-based group in regional land use and wildlife recovery planning.
Tucson-Pima County Bicycle Advisory Council, Co-Chair, Tucson (1994-95)
• Appointed to advise city and county governments on transportation and air quality solutions.
Available on request.