Keep jumpy horse danger at rodeo, not city streets


TUCSON -- As the father of a 4 year old girl, I am very sad at the death of Brielle Boisvert of Sonoita yesterday at the Rodeo Parade on the south side.

I am not a big fan of ranching, but I like horses and the non-motorized Rodeo Parade.

Unfortunately, people are often injured in the rodeo parade. Brielle shouldn't have been alone on that big horse with a wagon right behind her. But looking out life's rear window is always 20/20, and its too late now for her.

I ride horses, and I'm a big strong guy. When a horse is spooked and wants to run, it takes all my power just to just stay on, and maybe stop the horse after a minute. Even then, sometimes I get thrown. A five year old has no chance.

Perhaps we should remove easily spooked and dangerous half-ton+ horses from Tucson's streets, and start a rodeo bike parade in 08?

Keep the horses and wagons where they belong at the Rodeo Grounds, not on Tucson streets where it is more likely horses will get scared and panic with tragic results.

I'm sure the parents, wagon driver, and parade organizers are devastated. RIP, Brielle, and best to the family in this very tough time.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Starnet poll: should the parade continue?
http://www.azstarnet.com/sn/rodeo/170479
Odz Stud said…
Absolutely true. Horses are so unpredictable, I think it was very iresponsible to allow this in the first place, although I suppose i is too late to comment now. However, a little common sense goes a long way and this should be considered in the future.

Popular Posts